This baked zucchini dish gives traditional lasagna a run for its money. Increase its nutritional content by adding some mushrooms and sautéed spinach.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced in coins
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese, diced
- 1¼ cups marinara sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion. Sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add zucchini. Sauté for another 4 minutes or until zucchini is softened, but still firm.
- Add ½ cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, marinara, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pan. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat once cream cheese is melted.
- Transfer to an 8" × 8" baking dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling.