Balsamic Blueberry Mascarpone Crostini
Impress your guests with this simple but elegant appetizer. It combines a savory-sweet blueberry topping with creamy cheese, served on toasted bread.
Serves: 20Prep: 25 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 baguette, cut into ¼” slices
- 3 tablespoons Kroger® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- Fresh basil, chopped, if desired
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Brush a baking sheet with enough olive oil to coat lightly. Place bread slices in a single layer. Brush with remaining olive oil and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and crisp; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook 5-7 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Stir in blueberries, balsamic vinegar and honey. Cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until berries have burst and mixture is reduced. Allow to cool at least 1 hour (mixture will thicken as it cools.)
- Spread bread slices with mascarpone and serve topped with blueberry mixture. Sprinkle with chopped basil, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip: Balsamic Blueberry Mascarpone Crostini can be served at room temperature or cold. It can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.