These cookies are very similar to the famous ones sold only in Baltimore. Use a good-quality chocolate for best results.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. milk chocolate, chopped
- 6 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together; whisk into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls on prepared baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or until cookies spring back when touched. Cool.
- Bring heavy cream just to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in chocolate until smooth and melted. Cool slightly. It should be thick but spreadable.
- Smear over tops of cookies in a thick, 1⁄2-inch layer.