Quick breads are easy to make. Their flavor and texture usually gets better if allowed to stand, covered, overnight at room temperature.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (3 oz.) low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ unpacked cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites from large eggs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" × 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray containing flour, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese with the brown sugar and sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in the mashed bananas, then add the egg, egg whites, and orange juice and beat until smooth.
- Stir together the flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to the batter and stir just until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes, or until the bread is a deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.