Banana Bread with Walnuts and Flaxseed
An age-old comfort food gets a makeover in this delicious recipe. This is a healthier version of the traditional treat—but it has the same great taste!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup 100% whole wheat baking flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1⁄2 cup Sucanat
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 cups mashed bananas (about 3 to 4 medium-large bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped natural walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a loaf pan with olive oil cooking spray and cover with a thin coating of wheat flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, flaxseed, Sucanat, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add bananas, applesauce, egg whites, eggs, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Incorporate walnuts evenly throughout the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.