Banana Chip Scones
Save to My Recipes
Make banana chip scones for breakfast, or save them for an afterschool snack for your kids.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a small bowl, combine egg, sour cream, and banana. Stir and mash together with a fork and set aside. In a large bowl, sift together cake flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Toss in chocolate chips.
- Cut the chilled butter into the dry ingredients, breaking it into small, pea-sized pieces with your fingertips or a pastry blender. Be sure not to mix too much. Butter and flour should create a dry, crumbly mixture, not a paste.
- Make a well in the center of the flour-butter mixture, and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir gently until just moistened. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and fold it 7 or 8 times, until it holds together. (This is not kneading.) Flatten the dough into a disk 1" thick. Cut the disk into 8 wedges and place them on the prepared pan, evenly spaced.
- Brush cream generously on the top of each scone. Rest 10 minutes before baking until golden brown, about 15 minutes.