Banana and Chocolate Chip Oven French Toast
This is a great make-ahead dish for guests that are arriving early in the morning. Assemble it the night before and pop it into the oven as your guests arrive.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 loaf (16 oz.) challah
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Spray a 9" × 13" casserole dish with nonstick spray. Spread banana slices in a single layer at the botton of the dish.
- Slice the bread into thick slices, then slice the bread into halves. Shingle the bread slices in overlapping layers over the bananas in the casserole.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla and pour the custard over the bread. Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and weigh the top down for at least 1 hour so that the custard can soak into the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake the French toast, uncovered, on the middle oven rack until the custard is set and the top of the casserole is golden, 25–30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with chocolate chips while still hot.