Banana Cream Pie
Save to My Recipes
This banana cream pie has a satisfying and creamy filling of vanilla custard and sliced bananas.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 blind-baked pie crust (9")
- 4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Heat 3 cups of the cream, cornstarch, and ⅓ cup of the sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat to a simmer. Temper egg yolks with ½ cup heated cream mixture; then add yolks to cream mixture and cook, whisking, until mixture thickens. (Tempering brings the egg closer to the temperature of the hot liquid and helps to prevent curdling when it is added.) Stir in vanilla. Strain filling into a bowl and set aside.
- Lay half of the banana slices on the bottom of the crust. Spoon the filling on top of the bananas. Chill 2 hours.
- Whip remaining cream with the remaining sugar. Lay the remaining banana slices on top of the filling, and then top the pie with whipped cream.