Are your bananas getting a little overripe? Try making tasty banana fritters instead of banana bread. Just before serving, sprinkle these fritters with a little cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar, and serve with vanilla sauce or maple syrup.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Sift flour, baking powder, powdered sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and egg. Whisk to blend well. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients. Fold in mashed bananas.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer or deep, heavy skillet.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, cooking about 4 to 6 at a time. As the fritters brown on the bottom, turn to brown on the other side. With a slotted spoon, move fritters to paper towels to drain.
- In a shallow bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. Roll warm fritters in cinnamon sugar before serving.