Banana Meringue Pie
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup plus ⅓ cup sugar, divided
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk, very warm
- ½ tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 2 large bananas, peeled
- 1 fully-baked pie shell, (9")
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter, ¾ cup sugar, salt, flour, and eggs. Add warm milk slowly, stirring constantly. Cook over hot water in a double boiler until thick and smooth; stir constantly, as it will burn or get lumpy very easily. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.
- Slice the bananas into the baked pie shell. Pour the pudding mixture over the bananas.
- Beat the egg whites until almost stiff. Add the remaining sugar and cream of tartar. Continue beating until thick and glossy. Spoon meringue on top of the pie, spreading it out to the edges and making little peaks. Bake for about 10 minutes until set. Cool before serving.