Banana Nut Bread
For fun, you can make this recipe into banana nut cupcakes or mini muffins by baking them for half the time in muffin tins. It freezes well.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 medium overripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" × 5" loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and oil; whip vigorously until creamy and light in color, about 5 minutes. Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract to the egg mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only as much as necessary to incorporate the ingredients, since overmixing will toughen the batter. Stir in the nuts and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in center of oven until the top is springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50–60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool completely before slicing.