Banana-Nut-Oat Bran Waffles
Use either a standard nonstick waffle iron or a Belgian nonstick one that makes waffles with deep indentations to hold pools of rich maple syrup. Be sure to use very ripe and soft bananas so they can blend into the batter.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 12 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large ripe bananas, peeled, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat the waffle iron. Spray both surfaces with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice 1 banana and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs, buttermilk, 2 bananas, and butter until well blended and smooth. Fold in the flour, oat bran, baking powder, and salt, stirring until just combined and moistened; the batter should be stiff, not runny. Fold in the crushed walnuts.
- Bake waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions. Serve hot with sliced banana, maple syrup, and chopped walnuts.