This appetizer is also great as dessert. The rolls can be served with ice cream or served on their own, drizzled with powdered sugar.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 medium ripe bananas, peeled
- 1 tsp. tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 25 rice paper wrappers
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Mash bananas into a paste.
- Mix the tapioca flour with 2 tablespoons water and heat in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds to make a paste.
- Pour warm water into a shallow bowl. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water until soft. Remove and lay flat on a work surface. Place 2 tablespoons of the mashed bananas in the bottom third of the wrapper. Roll the filling up to halfway. Fold the two sides over the middle and roll up to meet with the top. Glue with tapioca paste.
- Heat the oil in a deep-frying pan to 350°F. Deep-fry each roll for 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.