Banana Walnut Brownie Cake
Chocolate cake is elevated by the addition of banana and walnuts. For this recipe, it’s best to use very ripe bananas for the batter and firmer bananas for the garnish.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 medium firm bananas, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line the bottom of a 9" by 13" pan with butter and flour. Lightly coat the sides of the pan with butter and flour.
- Melt the chocolate and cream in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water, stirring continuously. Set aside to cool.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until thoroughly blended. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas. Blend in the melted chocolate. Fold in the flour and walnuts until lightly blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs when inserted in the center of the cake. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Dust cooled cake with sifted cocoa and cut into squares. Top each square with a slice of banana.