Bánh Patê Sô (Hot Meat Pie)
This recipe is for delectable Vietnamese meat pies cooked in buttery puff pastry.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 oz. dry wood ear (black fungus) mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup soaked bean thread noodles, lightly chopped
- 12 oz. ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled out 1⁄8 inch thick and cut into 16 squares
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a small bowl, combine the dry mushrooms with the hot water. Let stand for 10 minutes, then drain well and finely chop.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chopped mushrooms with the noodles, then add the pork, onion, fish sauce, pepper, and sugar. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Evenly divide the filling among the pastry squares, then brush beaten egg along the edges. Fold over, making sure the filling does not come out of the pastry, and crimp with a fork to seal. With scissors or a sharp paring knife, snip a small vent in the top of each pastry, then brush the pastries lightly with egg.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed, golden brown on top and bottom, and the filling reaches 160°F. Cool slightly before serving.