Barbecue Pizza Sauce
This sweet-tart sauce may be a little more intense than your average sauce for the grill. It’s designed to stand up to substantial crusts and a range of ingredients.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 strips bacon, cooked
- 2⅓ cups ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine oil, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Spoon into a blender. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to purée.
- Return sauce mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring often. Cool before using in pizza recipes.