This is spicy enough to cover for the extreme sweetness of many barbecue sauces. You may notice the flavor of molasses, but you won’t miss the calories and sugar.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup minced sweet white onion
- 2 cups chili sauce
- ½ cup tomato juice
- 1 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- ⅛ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a 1-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups of sauce. Cool and place in a jar. This will keep for two weeks when refrigerated.