Barbecue Sauce with Whiskey and Herbs
Adding whiskey to your sauce changes it radically. This sauce is especially good with chicken and sturdy fish such as bluefish and swordfish.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup blended whiskey
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. chopped rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chopped sage leaves
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cold butter
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic in peanut oil over medium-high heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in mustard, Worcestershire hot pepper sauce, whiskey, broth, rosemary, parsley, sage, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 45 minutes until reduced to 3 cups. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.