Barbecued Beef and Barley Soup
A twist on a classic, serve this soup in the dead of winter when you are missing the grill the most.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb. lean beef chuck, cut into 1⁄2-inch dice
- 2 Tbsp. prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄3 cup dry pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 oz.) beef consommé
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Brown the beef well. Add barbecue sauce and cook another minute, or until the sauce begins to darken.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, paprika, garlic powder, sugar, and dry mustard. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Add the barley, tomatoes, consommé, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook gently for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve in warmed bowls.