Barbecued Beef Brisket
For a hearty appetizer, serve brisket-bun sandwiches made from this barbecued brisket and dinner rolls. Put a slice of cheddar cheese and onion on the sandwiches if desired.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 4 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 brisket, trimmed (about 6 lbs.)
- ¼ cup barbecue seasoning or rub
- 1 can (12 oz.) cola
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) porter or dark beer
- 3 cups water
- ¾ medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups red barbecue sauce
- Sprinkle the barbecue seasoning over both sides of the brisket and rub or pat it into the meat. Place the brisket on the rack in a countertop roaster.
- Pour the cola around the brisket and pour the porter over it into the roaster pan. Add the water and scatter the sliced onions over the meat.
- Put the lid on the roaster, set it at 250°F, and let it cook for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put the brisket on a baking-sheet pan and brush ⅓ of the barbecue sauce on it. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn over the brisket and brush half of the remaining sauce on this side and bake for 20 minutes. Take it out, turn it over one more time, and baste it with the remaining sauce. Bake another 20 minutes (1 hour total).
- Let the brisket rest for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a carving board. Slice and serve.