Barbecued Braised Beef Sandwiches
Make a simple, savory barbeque sauce and braise a chuck roast in it for 3 hours. Slice the tender braised meat and layer onto soft sandwich buns. Delicious with coleslaw and a classic potato salad.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lbs. chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup steak sauce
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 12 sandwich buns, split
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Season chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, heat canola oil over high heat. Using tongs to hold meat, sear chuck roast on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer roast to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. If pan is dry add more canola oil, about 1 teaspoon. Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7–10 minutes, until onion is tender. Add steak sauce, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Return chuck roast to pan, cover and place in oven for 3 hours, or until meat is tender and slices easily.
- Slice roast beef and layer with sauce onto sandwich buns.