Barbecued Meatballs with Rice
Save to My Recipes
These tangy meatballs are just wonderful cooked with a flavorful homemade barbecue sauce and served over hot rice.
Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef round or sirloin
- 1 lb. mild bulk pork sausage
- ⅓ cup minced white onion
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried sage, crumbled
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ cups ketchup
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, sage, and garlic powder.
- Shape meat into 1½" meatballs. Put half of the meatballs in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook meatballs slowly, carefully turning to brown all sides. This will take about 12–18 minutes for each batch. Pour off excess fat.
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce; mix until well blended. Transfer meatballs to a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meatballs, mixing gently.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep meatballs coated, until meatballs are cooked through. Serve meatballs over rice.