Barbecued Spatchcock Chicken
For crispier skin, juicier meat and a faster cook time, try the spatchcock technique -- a poultry prep method that ensures more of the skin is exposed to direct heat.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed
- Kosher salt
- 2⁄3 bottle Private Selection™ Red Lager & Roasted Tomato Craft BBQ Sauce
- Preheat grill to medium. To spatchcock chicken, place on cutting board and cut down both sides of backbone with poultry shears or sharp boning knife.
- Flip chicken over; press on breastbone until it cracks and chicken lies close to flat. Season both sides of chicken with salt.
- Place chicken on preheated grill skin-side up and cook, flipping every 5 minutes. After 10 minutes on each side (4 total flips), begin basting both sides with barbecue sauce. When chicken is cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165°F, cover fully with barbecue sauce.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes. Carve and serve, refrigerating any leftovers.