Barley and Bell Pepper Chili
With all the flavors and ingredients of traditional vegetarian chili, this recipe just adds a bit of whole-grain goodness to the mix.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup barley
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz.) kidney beans
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large stock pot, sauté the garlic, onion, and bell peppers in olive oil for 2–3 minutes. Add barley and toast, stirring frequently, for just 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a slow simmer, cover, and heat for at least 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro before serving.