Barley and Mushroom Casserole
This easy slow cooker vegetarian dish makes a delicious side or vegetarian entrée.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 12 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Spray the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with the nonstick spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they soften and start to brown, about 7–9 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Continue to sauté frequently for another 3–5 minutes or until mushrooms reduce and start to give up their liquid. Scrape vegetables into the prepared slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 10–12 hours. Remove bay leaf. Serve hot.