Barley Mushroom Casserole
Barley is a delicious, nutty, and mild grain that’s very healthy. Cooked with vegetables, it makes an excellent vegetarian main dish or side dish for grilled meats.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2 1⁄2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 4 minutes longer.
- Add barley; cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring, until barley is lightly browned. Add celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Pour mixture into casserole, cover, and bake for 1 hour until barley is tender. Mix in chopped cheese. Top with parsley and serve.