Barley and Mushroom Pilaf
This earthy-flavored pilaf with mushrooms and nutty toasted barley will really stick to your ribs!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. vegan margarine, divided
- 1 cup sliced porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1¼ cups cooked barley
- 3¾ cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- Heat 2 tablespoons margarine in a large skillet or stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms, celery, and onion until almost soft, about 2–3 minutes. Add barley and remaining margarine and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add vegetable broth, bay leaf, sage, parsley, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20–25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and barley is cooked. Remove bay leaf before serving.