Barley Vegetable Soup
Barley Vegetable Soup is an excellent “kitchen sink” recipe, meaning that you can toss in just about any fresh or frozen vegetables or spices you happen to have on hand.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large soup or stock pot, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery in olive oil for 3–5 minutes, just until onions are almost soft.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and allow to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves; season with salt and pepper.