Barley and Vegetable Soup with Brisket
This hearty soup can be made ahead of time and served to a hungry crowd at a wintertime get-together.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. cooked shredded brisket, fat removed
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1½ cups chopped carrots
- 1½ cups peas
- 1½ cups trimmed green beans
- 1½ cups barley
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add brisket to pot and heat through. Add broth and tomato sauce and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots, peas, green beans, barley, garlic, onion powder, and rosemary to the pot. Simmer for 45 minutes, until barley is cooked. Season with salt and pepper and serve.