Barley with Red Pepper, Zucchini, and Walnuts
Sauté vegetables and toss them with cooked barley, chopped walnuts, Parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper. This versatile dish can be eaten as a meatless main course or as a side with grilled meat, poultry, or fish. Eat it hot or pack it in a lunch box or take it on a picnic and enjoy it at room temperature.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, quartered, and sliced
- 3 cups cooked pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until it shimmers. Add onion and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion begins to soften. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add pepper and zucchini and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Off heat, stir in barley, walnuts, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.