Basic Beef Stock
This staple stock works in a variety of recipes and takes little effort aside from a bit of patience.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 black peppercorns
- 5 sage leaves
- 4 thickly sliced large onions
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 small stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 2½ quarts water
- 2 ribs from cooked beef rib roast, fat trimmed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- Combine all the ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the stock through a double-layer of cheesecloth, discarding the solids. Refrigerate 2 hours until chilled. Remove fat from surface of stock.
- Refrigerate the stock and use within 1 week or freeze.