Basic Butter Cookies
For a little change of flavor, you can substitute orange juice, lemon juice, or lime juice for the milk in this recipe.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Combine butter and sugar; mix until creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and milk; blend well. Add dry ingredients; stir to blend. Chill at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Roll 1⁄3 of dough at a time, keeping remaining dough chilled.
- Cut with cookie cutters; transfer to baking sheets. Bake 6 to 10 minutes. Cool completely.