Basic Cheese Soufflé
Experiment with this basic soufflé recipe by adding tomatoes or other garden vegetables and fresh herbs as desired.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 oz. Jarlsberg cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a soufflé dish.
- To prepare the soufflé base, melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Make a roux by adding the flour, salt, and pepper and stirring continuously for 2 to 3 minutes, until the flour is incorporated. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks. Stir in the cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the base mixture.
- Pour the soufflé mixture into the dish. Bake until soufflé turns a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.