Basic Corn Tortillas
Make this essential component of Mexican cuisine in large batches and freeze them.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups cornmeal or masa harina
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix the ingredients to form a soft dough. The dough should not stick to your hands. If it is sticky, add cornmeal 1 teaspoon at a time until it doesn’t stick any longer.
- Divide the dough and roll it into balls about the size of golf balls.
- Flatten the balls between 2 sheets of wax paper. If they stick, scrape them off, add more cornmeal, and start over. Flatten to about ¼" thick.
- Place each tortilla separately in an ungreased frying pan and cook over medium heat until slightly brown, usually 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until slightly brown.