Basic Italian Pork Sausage
This sausage is commonly known as Italian sweet sausage. Fennel seeds lend the characteristic taste to Italian sweet sausage.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2½ lbs. pork
- ½ lb. pork fat
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup fennel seeds
- 2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Sausage casings
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Grind the meat and fat separately. Mix together all the ingredients in a chilled bowl with chilled utensils. If using an electric mixer, be sure not to over blend the meat and fat.
- Stuff the mixture into casings or form into patties.
- Heat a oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sausage, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, turning at 5-minute intervals. Uncover and cook for about 15 minutes until thoroughly browned.