Basic Low-Sodium Vegan Broth
This fat-free vegan broth is perfect for flavoring your favorite soup or sipping straight from a mug.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 oz. mushrooms, scrubbed
- 3 medium carrots, scrubbed
- 2 medium stalks celery, scrubbed
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cups water
- Quarter the onion, garlic cloves, and mushrooms. Slice the carrots, celery, and tomatoes into chunks. Place into a stockpot, along with all the remaining ingredients. Cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the contents steep for another 30 minutes.
- Pour broth through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the vegetables. Use immediately, store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze.