Basic Meat Lasagna
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 jars (28 oz.) spaghetti sauce
- 1 box (1 lb.) lasagna noodles
- 3 large eggs
- 1 container (16 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; cook the garlic and onion in the oil about 3 minutes. Add the beef and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Brown the beef. Add the spaghetti sauce, reserving about 1⁄2 cup. Allow to simmer about 15 minutes.
- Cook the lasagna noodles as directed on the package, adding 1 tablespoon olive oil to the cooking water.
- In the blender or food processor, combine the eggs and ricotta cheese, then stir the parsley into the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. To assemble the lasagna, place a small amount of plain sauce (without the meat) on the bottom of a well-greased lasagna pan. Make a layer of noodles, topped with the ricotta cheese mixture, sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread the remaining plain sauce (without the meat) on top, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 1 1⁄4 to 1 1⁄2 hours, or until the center is bubbly. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.