Basic Picante Sauce
For a less spicy sauce, keep the jalapeño whole and remove it after simmering the mixture.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large white onion
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper or ¼ cup canned jalapeños
- 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh, crushed cilantro or 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- Remove the skin from the onion and chop into ¼" pieces. Remove the stems from the jalapeño (if using fresh) and tomatoes and chop into ¼" pieces.
- Preheat the oil to medium temperature in a large frying pan. Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes or until tender but not brown. Add the remaining ingredients. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes.