Basic Raised Rolls
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 package regular or quick-acting dry yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- cooking spray
- Mix 2 cups flour with the sugar, salt, and yeast. In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter until the butter is almost melted. Beat the egg lightly. Add the egg and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute, scraping the bowl often, then beat on high speed for 1 additional minute. By hand, stir in as much of the remaining flour as necessary to make a dough that can be easily handled.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, at least 5 minutes. As you knead, work in additional flour as necessary to obtain a fairly stiff dough. Place the dough into a greased bowl. Cover and let double in size in a warm place, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Working on a lightly floured surface, cut the dough in half.
- Grease 24 muffin cups on both the bottom and sides. Cut each half of dough into 12 pieces. Shape into balls and place one in each muffin cup. Cover pans of rolls and allow to rise in a warm place until just double in size (about 30 minutes.)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake rolls for 12 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.