Basic Tomato Sauce
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (5 1⁄2 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄4 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground anise seed
- Heat olive oil in large, deep skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic and sauté until onions are transparent. (For a richer-tasting sauce, allow onions to caramelize or reach a light golden brown.)
- Purée tomatoes in food processor.
- Add the puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, and sugar to onion mixture along with salt, pepper, and anise. Simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes.
- If you prefer a smoother sauce, process sauce in food processor again.