Basic Vegetable Stock
If you want an earthier flavor, add mushrooms.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. yellow onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. celery (stalks only), trimmed and roughly chopped
- 6 quarts water
- ½ cup chopped parsley stems
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- Bring the onions, carrots, celery, and water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook the stock for 1½ hours.
- Add the parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns, and cook for 45 minutes. Season the stock with the salt.
- Remove the pot from the heat; strain and reserve the liquid stock. Allow the stock to cool.
- Freeze the stock in freezer-safe containers until you are ready to use it.