Basil-Scallion Risotto Cakes
Making risotto cakes is a hands-on endeavor that is worth the effort. After stirring up a batch of basil-scallion risotto, use your hands to form the rice into patties, and then fry them in olive oil. Serve with grilled steak, roasted chicken, or a salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 55 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups Arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped basil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a medium saucepan, heat chicken broth over low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add white parts of scallions. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender. Add rice; cook and stir until rice is opaque and coated. Sprinkle in basil and scallion greens. Add 1⁄2 cup warmed chicken broth to the rice mixture; cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue to add broth, 1⁄2 to 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine risotto, breadcrumbs and egg; mix well. Form into 8 small patties.
- Heat remaining olive oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties, 4 at a time, until golden brown on both sides and heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Place patties on serving platter and serve immediately.