Bauernwurst with Spicy Red Cabbage
These are sturdy, flavorful country sausages. You can use knockwurst or bratwurst also. You can make the cabbage one day in advance. Serve this with crusty rolls and German potato salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium head red cabbage, rinsed and trimmed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 bauernwurst (also known as Farmer’s sausage)
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Shred the cabbage in a food processor; then soak cabbage in cold water for 1 hour. Drain.
- Heat softened butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, water, and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the cabbage is soft—about 1 hour.
- Stir in salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium. Place the sausages on the grill. Grill 10 minutes, turning and brushing occasionally with melted butter. Serve sausages with cabbage.