BBQ and Tequila-Soaked Short Ribs with Cheddar Grits
Braising your short ribs creates a fall-off-the-bone tenderness and rich flavor…well worth the wait!
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 3 hoursTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 bone-in beef short ribs (3 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 3⁄4 cup Private Selection™ Mexican Inspired BBQ & Basting Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Heat oven to 325°F. In gallon size resealable bag, combine flour, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add ribs a few at a time; seal bag. Shake to coat in flour mixture.
- In 5-quart ovenproof Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ribs in batches, turning to brown all sides. Remove ribs from Dutch oven.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in carrots, celery and onion. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add tequila, stirring 30 seconds to scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan. Stir in barbecue sauce and broth. Return ribs to pot.
- Cover and bake 2-2½ hours or until meat falls off the bone. Skim fat from sauce. (Can be made one day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Lift fat from sauce before reheating.)
- Shortly before meat is done, make Cheesy Grits. In 3-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in grits, butter, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook uncovered 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Cover and keep warm.
- Divide grits among 4 dinner plates. Top with short ribs, sauce and chives.