Bean, Barley, and Mushroom Soup
This easy-to-make recipe warms your house and fills it with tantalizing aromas for hours leading up to dinner time.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 4 Tbsp. pearl barley
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 8 cups water
- ½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Rinse and drain the soaked beans.
- In a large soup pot, combine beans, barley, onions, celery, and water. Cover and cook over low heat until beans are tender, approximately 2½ hours.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Garnish with chives.