Bean and Beef Chili
Serve this beef chili in oversized mugs and garnish with low-fat shredded cheese and a dollop of nonfat sour cream. It makes an especially cozy dish on cold winter nights.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 slices bacon, cut in pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomatoes
- 1 can (16 oz.) red kidney beans
- ½ tsp. cumin seed
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Add bacon to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry until the bacon is crispy and the fat has rendered from it. Add ground beef, and stir, breaking up the meat as it cooks until it has browned and the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.