Bean Curd Soup
Use firm tofu for this soup so that it will hold its shape during cooking.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 blocks (12.3 oz.) firm tofu
- 1 green onion
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. shredded ginger
- 5½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Chinese rice wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Place the tofu on a paper towel–lined plate. Top with more paper towels and a second plate. Top with a bowl or other weight to press down on the tofu. Set aside for 15 minutes, then drain. Cut the tofu into 1" cubes. Slice the green onion on the diagonal into 1" lengths.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium-low heat. Add the ginger and cook briefly until aromatic.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the salt, rice wine, tofu, and spinach. Bring back up to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the sliced green onion.