Bean Sprouts with Tofu
This is simple vegetarian dish that can be done with any vegetables. Serve the dish immediately with cooked rice
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 oz. extra firm tofu
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups bean sprouts
- 2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 bunch chopped green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- Take tofu out of the packet. Place a kitchen towel on a plate. Put tofu block on top and place another kitchen towel on top of the tofu. Put a heavy pot on top to help release water and let it sit for 30 minutes. This will help the oil to not splatter as much when frying.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- In a fry pan, deep-fry tofu for 4 minutes in oil that has been heated to 350°F, turning halfway through to evenly brown both sides of the tofu pieces. Remove tofu from oil and set aside.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of oil and reserve for another use. Return the pan to medium heat with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and fry garlic until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add tofu and sauté until tofu is hot, about 1 minute.
- Add bean sprouts, light soy sauce, sugar, and water and stir-fry for 1 minute, until bean sprouts are wilted but still firm. Add green onions and fold.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle with ground white pepper.