Bean Thread Noodle Salad (Yum Woon Sen)
This is a simple and flavorful salad. It is served at room temperature and will keep well at room temperature for a few hours unrefrigerated. Other meat or seafood can be substituted for shrimp and pork in this recipe.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Thai chilies
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. palm sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ lb. large shrimp
- ¼ lb. ground pork
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 oz. dried bean thread or cellophane noodles, boiled for 1½ minutes and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped scallions
- Pound chilies, granulated sugar, palm sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce in a mortar and pestle or pulse in a food chopper/processor.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and add garlic. Fry until fragrant and golden, about 10 seconds. Add shrimp and pork and stir-fry until cooked, about 5 minutes. Add soy sauce.
- Combine noodles, tomatoes, cilantro, shallots, and scallions in a large bowl. Stir in shrimp and pork mixture. Pour dressing on top and mix well.