Beef and Autumn Vegetable Stew
This stew could also be called “Phytochemical Powerhouse Stew.”
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. stew beef, cut into 1" cubes
- ¼ cup all- purpose flour
- ¾ cup diced onions
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté beef cubes until browned. Add flour and stir to coat and distribute.
- Add the onions, carrots, peppers, garlic, potato, turnip, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, and beef broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and rosemary sprigs. Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Serve hot.